----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Devine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 7:26 PM
Subject: [PEN-L:16653] business ethics

> [was: Re: [PEN-L:16633] Re: Re: Re: Re: Atlas shrugged]
>
> At 04:09 PM 09/03/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >Shouldn't the curriculum for business majors be substantially
changed
> >so that issue of, say, corporate governance, is viewed through
notions
> >of what counts as democratic accountability and representation-and
not
> >just for the board and it's relation to shareholders; or that any
> >understanding of factor inputs into a production process needs to
look
> >at environmental impacts as against merely price information.
That's
> >just for starters.....
>
> Maybe, but the nature of our business program is under the control
of the
> management types, who would never change it. (The economics
department then
> "services" the business school, by teaching economics to its frosh.)
We do
> have courses on oxymoronic "business ethics," but the bizad students
don't
> care about that stuff.
>
> Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~JDevine
==============
It was precisely because business admin. curricula was so divorced
from what I leaned in my economic history and intro classes that I
decided to do history and philosophy instead. Why is there such an
anti-historical bias in so much business education? I got totally
disgusted with the big C after taking a class on US business history.
The characters and behaviors filled me with horror. So where do the
bizad students get their nihilism even as they don't understand or
care that they're being nihilistic? Is the US 'really' a nihilistic
society when we scratch the skin a little?

Ian