Disappearing surplus my ass.  Here's the latest
CBO projections for the surplus NOT COUNTING
Social Security, AFTER the tax cut:

2001    -9 (i.e., deficit not counting SS)
2002     2
2003   -18
2004   - 3
2005    21  (hello)
2006    47
2007    78
2008   106
2009   147
2010   184
2011   283

Take a ruler and draw that trend.
Note that this continues, onward and upward,
even after the Baby Boom retires, and after
2017 it is net of any transfers required to redeem
debts to the Trust Fund for payment of benefits.

Now our comrades from UKC/Mizoo will point out
that macro imbalances will blow this out of the
water and require massive deficit spending.

Whether that is true or not, however, is a
different matter.  The surplus debate is a
debate about what the Gov should plan on doing,
looking foward beyond next year in the realms of
taxing and spending.  Projected deficits are
God's way of telling the Congress, you can't
do anything.  The converse should be taken as
a signal to do the opposite.  Otherwise there
is never a good time to practice fiscal
activism.

mbs

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine