SEPTEMBER 11, 14:20 EDT
Taliban Condemn Attacks in U.S.

By Kathy Gannon
Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan's hardline Taliban rulers condemned the
devastating terrorist attacks in New York and Washington on Tuesday and
rejected suggestions that Osama bin Laden could be behind them.

``We have tried out best in the past and we are willing in the future to
assure the United States in any kind of way we can that Osama is not involved
in these kinds of activities,'' the Taliban's foreign minister Wakil Ahmed
Muttawakil told reporters.

Muttawakil said Tuesday's attacks were ``from a humanitarian point of view
surely a loss and a very terrifying incident.'' Asked whether the Taliban
condemned the attacks on the United States, he said: ``We have criticized and
we are now again criticizing terrorism in all its forms.''

Bin Laden, the exiled Saudi millionaire indicted in the United States on
charges of masterminding the bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa in
1998, has lived here since 1996 under the protection of the ruling Taliban
religious militia. Washington accuses him of running an international
terrorist network.

After Tuesday's attacks, a London-based Arab journalist said followers of bin
Laden warned three weeks ago that they would carry out a ``huge and
unprecedented attack'' on U.S. interests.

Abdel-Bari Atwan, editor of the Al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper, said he received
a warning from Islamic fundamentalists close to bin Laden, but did not take
the threat seriously.

``They said it would be a huge and unprecedented attack but they did not
specify,'' Atwan said in a telephone interview in London.

``We usually receive this kind of thing. At the time we did not take the
warnings seriously as they had happened several times in the past and nothing
happened. ``This time it seems his people were accurate and meant every word
they said.''

Atwan, who interviewed bin Laden in 1996 and has since maintained contacts
with his followers, said he believed the attack on the World Trade Center in
New York was the work of ``an Islamic fundamentalist group'' close to bin
Laden.

But Abdul Hai Muttmain, the Taliban's spokesman in southern Kandahar,
dismissed allegations that bin Laden could be behind the attacks in the
United States.

``Such a big conspiracy, to have infiltrated in such a major way is
impossible for Osama,'' Muttmain told The Associated Press in a telephone
interview. He said bin Laden does not have the facilities to orchestrate such
a major assault within the United States.

The Taliban say bin Laden's communications have been taken away from him, but
several sources close to him — including his family members in Saudi Arabia —
say bin Laden has regular access to satellite telephones and other
sophisticated communication equipment.

Meanwhile, foreign aid workers and even Taliban commanders, who have spoken
on condition of anonymity, say that the number of Arab nationals in
Afghanistan has increased in recent months.

``They are in Kabul, Herat, Jalalabad. They have training centers in every
province of Afghanistan,'' said one Taliban commander, who would not give his
name.

The Taliban, who espouse a harsh brand of Islamic law, have resisted U.S.
demands to hand over bin Laden.

After the attacks in East Africa three years ago, Washington retaliated with
a blistering missile attack in August 1998, sending more than 70 Tomahawk
cruise missiles into eastern Afghanistan apparently targeting training camps
operated by bin Laden.

The U.S. attacks killed about 20 followers of bin Laden's but bin Laden
escaped unhurt. Since then he has been forced by the Taliban rulers to stop
giving interviews and making statements.

In Kabul foreign aid workers were keeping a low profile and security measures
were heightened with most expatriates being advised to stay in their homes
for fear of retaliatory attacks from the United States should evidence
implicate bin Laden.

But Muttawakil said there is no fear among the Taliban.

``Since there is no reason for an attack and we are not expecting any
reprisal attack we are not taking any precautions,'' he said.