A couple of months ago, I edited my general news bookmarks down by 90% (it's
easier to do than you think, and simply required in this day and age, I
suggest), and found myself, for what it's worth, left with the following
sites.

Must haves:

http://www.theage.com.au/   I agree with Eugene; arguably Australia's most
thoughtful mainstream daily, Melbourne's broadsheet, *The Age*.  Always look
out for Ken Davidson and Bob Ellis - Australia's most readable dissentors.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/default.htm   Australia's public service
broadcaster's newspage, replete with heaps of beaut links ranging across
the ABC's many news'n'information services.  Extremely quick and reliable
real-time coverage of developing news - maybe the best coolly impartial
as-it-happens teller-like-it-is I know of.

http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/   Al Ahram, a dissenting highbrow Cairo-based
weekly, is an absolute beaut.  Excellent on world stuff, unbeatable on the
Middle East.  A regular outlet for the likes of Said and Chomsky.

http://www.en.monde-diplomatique.fr/   As good as it gets, but some stories
are
denied the free rider.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/   Probably the best nakedly Marxist newspaper
I know of.  On the Trot side of the old arguments, but refreshingly tends to
ignore that old infighting stuff.  Preaches a little at times, but is usually
on the mark, for mine.

http://www.independent.co.uk   Ya get Fisk and Pilger, and you get a social
democratic line less tainted by third-wayist contortions than I think the
Guardian tends to serve up.

http://pilger.carlton.com/   The Great John Pilger hisself.

For Oz-politics buffs, business-buffs and fans of the harshly irreverent:

http://www.crikey.com.au/index.html   Smartmouth, ear-close-to-the-ground,
irreverent, slightly right-of-centre liberal, news'n'analysis of mainly
Oz goings-on, but quick to air on big international stories..

For fun:

http://www.chaser.com.au/   Mecilessly takes the piss out of absolutely
everything - does occasionally assume a pretty Australian grasp of
Australian issues.  Pithily funny, if not always strictly edifying.