Carrol kindly sent the message below in response to Jim. The message is
a rather good summation of Engel's standing in anthropology by her friend
Maureen (the entire message is reproduced below.

I am not taking issue with Maureen because she has correctly and
concisely summed up the general consensus on some important matters -
it is the academic consensus I have trouble with not the contributor. I hope
Maureen will forgive me then of using her words to introduce the topic, I
intend no attack on her.

This is the bit, which is made in reference to Engels' The Origin of the
Family Private Property and the State and how it is generally viewed by
progressive anthropologists.

"Not surprisingly it's his interpretations most bound up with 19th c.
social evolutionary theory that are most "trashed."  That, and his
(related) presumption that there was an original, egalitarian,
"natural" gendered division of labor (women = domestic/reproductive
sphere, men = outside jural and econ spheres).  Both ideas - that
gendered divisions of labor are ever natural, and that a gendered
domestic/public division could ever be separate-but-equal egalitarian
- have been widely refuted.  But there's a modified version of the
latter theme, that the extent of male dominance is proportional to
the degree of division between a social formation's domestic and
public spheres (hunter-gatherers tending towards one end, peasant and
industrial societies at the other), that does have a respectable
following."

Over the last century we have spent so much intellectual energy
distancing ourselves from the great discoveries of the 19th century and
have shoved so many anachronistic concerns onto classic texts that
collectively we have missed understanding the great depth that is to be
found in these works.

The usual practice in reviewing works like those of Marx's which are
peppered with comments, phrases and words of their times, is to attempt
to reconstruct the context and derive the intention from this reconstruction.
It is labourious and not always very successful, a major problem being the
temptation to create over-elaborate reconstructions which throw not very
intelligible light on the original.

Maureen's excellent paragraph shows one absurd aspect of this.
Anthropologists having dispensed with "natural" as a social explanation,
are forced in a roundabout way to say the same thing but not nearly so
well (the modified version referred to above). In fact they have abstracted
biology out of the picture altogether (if my reading of trends in this area are
any guide) in an effort to make old Engels compatible with modern feminist
prejudices.

Having said this, no-doubt every reader will immediately assume that I am
about to trot out some silly misogynist notion about biology dictating social
roles for the sexes. No such luck, my point is that biology cannot be
dismissed from social evolution, the question is just how does it determine
- the answer to this is not some cheap socio-political comment but a broad
understanding of the differences between social and biological evolution
and how the first presupposes the second but completely modifies its
thrust.

A mentioned earlier that trying to reconstruct the original context of the
expressions used by Marx and Engels is not necessarily the best and
certainly not the most productive way of rescuing their meaning. First note
that Marx uses nature a lot, especially in his early works and in important
respects does not ever completely dispense with it. Second that
speculation (prior to Morgan) about the sexual division of labour came
considerable earlier than Darwin (In the German Ideology it is most
developed).

Rather than try and work out what he means by reconstruction of a whole
era, we can take the easier path of reconstructing the whole concept in
which the sexual division of labour is labeled as natural. Deep within this is
the concept that exchange-value as a social relation is entirely social
(alienated from natural conditions), while productive relations preceding
this were less alienated from nature (they have components that rest
directly on the natural world or are directly conditioned by it).

The origin of the sexual division of labour lies in the natural world as
transmuted by the social world (which is not the same as saying that
biology dictates). It is the form of this transmutation which is passed over
by Marx by his term "natural" - it is not explored but occupies a logically
determined place in is understanding (despite whatever social prejudices
he might have had as a 19th century man - I emphasize "despite").

Being a pre-darwinist conception, Marx sustains it in the light of biological
evolution but never elaborates further. So we are not confronted with some
mere slippage of a misogynist Marx, what is within the concept of  "nature"
as Marx used it, is room for an elaboration that he never made, we are not
given the choice of dispensing with it or any short-cuts (ie modifications)
rather at some point it has to be taken head on.

If the natural division of labour is dispensed with then so too is the natural
economy of pre-class societies and as they fall we loose sight of the
peculiar nature of a society driven by social contradictions which stand on
nature but work themselves out largely free of its constraints - in
otherwords we lose sight of what is peculiar about capitalism - of
contradictions running free through social life and tied into nature only at
the point of production - which in history is a rather peculiar position to be
in.

Famine kills peasants, but in capitalism a bad season is an adjustment of
prices in a world system. That is very peculiar - historically speaking - a
capitalist farmer may go bankrupt but s/he will not suffer biologically
because of nature's mischief.

To return to the sexual division of labour as a natural one. The connection
between nature and this division is not genetically determining (this could
not have entered Marx's head), but biologically determining. 20th century
thought dominated by genetics makes this mistake by identifying biology
too closely with genes, hence to say nature is responsible becomes code
for saying that genes determine. Despite Dawkins genes are not the be all
and end all of biology, our bodies and their functions are not simply
outgrowths of the battle for survival of genes - our bodies exist as natural
entities within nature.

Biological evolution is the struggle of existence of individual animals, which
gains evolutionary expression through genes and is expressed as
developing species (species don't compete, nor genes, but individual
animals do even when they club together as protio-social animals).

Humans by inventing society did not escape nature but side-stepped some
of the natural contradictions. From a social perspective, individuals do not
compete but societies do (compete for natural resources in the same
sense of Darwinian animals do). This is a major difference that
distinguishes human existence from animal existence. The social whole
competes against other social wholes (not as much as some would think),
but constantly it competes for its existence against nature, nature in this
sense imposes limits but more so appears as both provider and enemy.

Given a social group which has to reproduce both socially and biologically
(the former presupposing the latter) is pressed by nature (which may well
include other human beings in other social groups) the invention of the
sexual division of labour is natural (notice the contradictions of invention
which is social and natural which is imposed).

Rather then being gene driven, it is biologically driven that is given
biologies manifestation in living human beings of both sexes and a number
of ages at any one time. This is a given just as biological roles in sexual
reproduction are. It is a natural condition, wholly natural - but the response
to it is social (in fact the proportions of age and sex and the number of
those within a given society results from social production not any
pregiven genetic disposition) - thus  the sexual division of labour was an
invention, not a gene driven cul-de-sac, but one directly determined by
nature.

Marx's conception (carried on by Engels) is correct in calling such a
division natural, for once societies came into being the struggle of
individual existence was sublimated to the struggle for on-going social
existence and this dictated that women were best left to the tasks near the
camp and men best left to the risks of the periphery. A society can loose a
lot of males and still succeed in reproducing itself socially and biologically,
but it can afford to lose only a few reproductive females before it goes into
crisis - that is the connection between nature and society - the biological
imperative from what so much has grown and that is why Marx properly
identified it as natural.

Now that we live in gigantic societies (perhaps just one gigantic society)
where social contradictions are allowed to playout (there is a definite
natural limit to how far this can proceed), the sexual division of labour
remains, but only as a hang-over from our shared history (not denying its
critical importance in less developed parts of the world). The 20th century
could well deny there was anything natural about it, but this is a product of
our times and an anachronism that should not be loaded onto Marx.

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia