. . . Krugman's work is similar to that for an "optimal tariff" in that it
is
possible to, theoretically, identify a government intervention into trade
that makes the nation (doing the intervention) "better off." But the
response of Krugman . . .

This parallels a layer of public choice thinking that similarly
doubts the efficacy of anti-trust, regulation, public provision, etc.
Obviously if we are going to make comparisons, we would
compare real-world "deregulation" and its nominal
opposite.

I raised it, though, because free trade is itself put forward
in a bowdlerized academic form in the political arena.
You hear about wine and wool in newspaper columns.
When Gary Becker was asked why he supported the
Bush Campaign's tax cuts, he advised reporters to
consult a Principles of Economics textbook.  So
counter-models in this vein are not without practical
usefulness.

mbs