Land Value Taxation: The Basics

Does anyone have critics of land value taxation ?

Charles Brown

%%%%%%%%

Land Value Taxation: The Basics

The Proposal - Shift the property tax on buildings to land by taxing land assessments
at a higher percentage than building assessments.

Why Do It? - If buildings are taxed less, they'll be profitable to construct and
operate, also more affordable to rent or buy; if land sites are taxed more, they'll be
developed more fully. Therefore, a city will see more construction means more jobs as
well providing revenue for local government (which will recoup the tax revenue lost by
not taxing buildings because it will be taxing land more).

What is LVT?

LVT is a flexible form of the real property tax. In October, 1998 Governor Ridge of
Pennsylvania signed a law that permits Boroughs in the Commonwealth the right to enact
LVT In Pennsylvania, land and building assessments are determined separately. That
means we have an opportunity to see how much tax falls on each component of someone's
home or business.

Steelton, Pennsylvania: A Case Study

Let's look at Steelton, a once-thriving community that has lost population and has
been threatened with losing it's entire massive steel mill complex. Steelton is
becoming rife with land vacancy, thus making taxes for those who have kept the faith
in Steelton rise. Steelton needs to take steps to re-develop what used to be, in order
to save itself and save the countryside.

In Steelton (with a rate of 9 mills) 17.7% of real property tax revenue comes from
land. So what?

That means that 82.3% of your revenue comes from buildings. In other words, if someone
fixes up their house, their assessment goes up accordingly and their tax bill goes up
accordingly. That's a disincentive to go ahead with such a project. If buildings are
taxed less, the Borough will have more and better buildings. When LVT is used and
promoted by a Borough, individuals take the plunge and maintain their properties.

LVT is in accord with ability-to-pay

Steelton has a population that is aging. LVT is far more preferable to senior citizens
than the standard property tax. Since senior citizens keep up their homes, and since,
therefore, most of their tax bill comes from the structure itself, they would
assuredly see a decrease in their taxes with LVT. For families just starting out, a
lowered tax bill means lower monthly mortgage payments.

LVT attacks blight

Harrisburg, Pa., has employed and marketed LVT to great success. They have pushed the
idea hard, especially to homeowners and homesteaders. In 1982, Harrisburg had 4,200
vacant structures. Today, there are less than 500, with many re-habs coming in what
had been thought to be residential neighborhoods beyond hope.

In Steelton neighborhoods it is reasonable to expect that this process would be
repeated.

LVT targets land waste

Steelton appears to have a lot of under-used, potentially profitable (for both
business and government) land. A trip down Route 230 provides many examples of
cross-roads under-development. A program of higher tax rates on land will provide an
incentive to develop or to sell to someone who will.

The situation is especially egregious when it is understood that the current Borough
tax system does indeed:

* subsidize private land banking for those from outside the community,
* hike taxes for more productive citizens, take away development opportunities.
* Encourage urban sprawl.

LVT complements other incentive programs

LVT is enacted within existing frameworks of planning, zoning and abatement/exemption
programs, such as LERTA. The impact of an Enterprise Zone is magnified because
prospective building owners outside the Zone and the program can take advantage of the
improved business climate.

For example, a program to exempt improvements to houses or factories for a period of
years is a good one. Yet what if some homeowners have already fixed up their homes
before the program takes effect? The possible resentment "missing the boat" can be
lessened by a general (albeit smaller) program of tax reduction for improvements.
Also, when the period of exemption is over, LVT will cushion the financial blow from a
sudden increase in taxable building/improvement value.

LVT will lower taxes for most people

Although LVT should be (and has been) implemented with a slow, gradual shift to an
emphasis on land taxes, homeowners and many businesses will see an immediate reduction
in their tax bill.

In our experience, those properties that do pay the most under LVT are absentee big
bucks landowners. They have little or no stake in maintaining an attractive,
economically competitive Steelton.

LVT is the Right Thing to do

This program is also an ethical (or, at least, MORE ethical) system of taxation. It's
heartening to realize that many now agree that there is a sea change coming in the way
governments at all levels raise revenue. As the buzz over the Homestead Exemption
fades - for very good reasons - taxing jurisdictions have come to the conclusions that
WHAT is taxed is as important an issue as to how MUCH something is taxed.