What you need to show is that, at an exchange rate that permits balanced trade,
there is not a set of voluntary trades (willingly entered into by the owners of
the respective commodities) that would produce a potential pareto improvement
in at least one country with no potential pareto loss in the other.

In pure production models (without relations of production), the implicit
exchange rate is 1:1 in labor hours.  As soon as you distinguish between hours
of work and commodity price (due to variable rates of exploitation), you need
to specify the exchange rate explicitly.  Incidentally, it is not necessarily
the capitalists who trade.  The capitalists may sell their output to trading
houses which then engage in trade (as was the Japanese case).  If your model is
properly specified, this should not make any difference.

Peter