Rakesh's statement is fairly accurate in both substance and interpretation.
It is important  to understand that this conflict is less about religion
than about power and exploitation, but also that the Muslim world represents
the first wave of attempts by former colonial domains to unravel the sutures
of neocolonial capitalism. It is for that reason that the Bush led regime
and school of aggressive American Hegemony must attack the Muslim world
piece by piece to conquer it in the name of a New Economic World Order which
controls by imposing the discipline of commodification and consumption and
instituting global surveillence over all facets of daily life that may range
outside of the alloted boundaries.

I do disagree, however with Rakesh's agreement with the Bush regime about
destroying the so-called al Q'eda network. While I remain a sceptic about
the organization that is supposed to exist as a hierarchical structure, I do
see much more than terror as the raison d'etre and leit motif for such an
informal network as exists under the mislabel, hype & propaganda that has
been spun around it. In fact, I am even uncomfortable in using the pronoun
"it" which may amount to a reification of a multifaceted and polyvalent
process that could even be stretched to encompass our present discourse as
subversive of the hegemonic project of US capitalism.

In defending the widespread oppositional movements within the Muslim world
that the US has currently targeted and labelled as enemies and terrorists,
lets's take several concrete examples. First, while the media follows the
official US propaganda format in labelling the Moro Liberation fighters and
organizations as Filipino rebels, these groups actually represent a 400 year
process of resistance to invasion and attempts to impose colonial rule begun
by the Spanish and continued by the US and Filipino governments. At the time
of Spanish arrival even present day Manila was under the suzreinity of the
Sultanates of Sulu and Jolo that included parts of what are now the
Malaysian state of Sabah and Indonesian state of Kelemantan. These
Sultanates have both original title over most of what was established by
colonial fiat as the islands of King Philip (Philippines), and a continuous
track record of local soverignty and resistance to external conquest.
Therefore, this situation involves both Malaysia and Indonesia in protecting
the just struggle for autonomy and independence from foreign incursion into
these areas of common territorial and cultural soverignty, irrespective of
whether the US or UN recognize that reality.

British and French imperialism created Thailand much in the same was a
British and Russian empires created Afghanistan, as a neutral buffer state.
The northern Malay Peninsula, Pattani, is part of the Malay realm but was
given to Thailand and has ever since resisted and desired territorial
repatriation to the Federation of Malay States (Malaysia). Continuous
guerilla warfare by Muslim Malay groups has sought to affect this
repatriation by force as teh Thai government will not entertain any
discussion over this issue. The same is true with the Philippine government.
Ergo, the only way open to liberate and repatriate territory that remains
the homeland of indigenous Malay Muslim peoples is through armed struggle,
which has continued relatively unabated ever since the European colonial
powers invaded and claimed soverignty.

If we look at the Chechnyan struggle against Russian imperialism, as another
example, like many Caucasian expatriates, I am named after the 19th century
Naqshibandi Sufi Sheikh and warrior, Shamil, who rallied Chechnyan and
Daghestani peoples to fight for independence and held it for years until
overwhelmed by force of arms. After Russian conquest between 8-9 million
Caucasians, mainly Muslim, fled from their homelands in the face of brutal
and genocidal Russian rule. That diasphora continues to support the struggle
for independence from Russian colonial rule over the Caucasus. similar
information can be presented about Uigurs under Chinese colonial rule, or
Tatars under Russian rule, etc.

Among the fighters in Afghanistan that were wrongly labelled as terrorists
by the Bush regime, there are many who are not religious
neo-fundamentalists, but rather warriors for national liberation, freedom
fighters who had found sanctuary in their incessent struggle against illegal
occupation of their homelands by foreign powers. This situation is no
different that the Mau Mau, or Ghandi, or other freedom fighters against
colonial rule. Remember Indonesian fought for its freedom from the Dutch
until 1954, the same time that Vietnam got its independence from Frnace, it
was not until 1963 that Algeria won its freedom. The American war in Vietnam
was less of an attempt to contain communism than an extention of attempts to
retain Eurocentric neocolonial domination over the former colonial world.

I'll stop here only to cap this discussion with a premise that the US has
moved into a new phase of its long Crusade against the Muslim World not only
over power, resources, spheres of influences, etc.,  but in an attempt to
crush the most global of all the forces of freedom that continue the
anti-colonial struggle and the fight for national liberation begun over a
century ago and continuing thorughout the entire 20th century to the
present.