> BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, DAILY REPORT, MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2001:
>
> On the heels of the determination that the US economy is in recession,
> employers cut 331,000 workers from payrolls in November, pushing  the
> unemployment rate up 0.3 percentage point to 5.7 percent, according to
> figures released by the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics.
> "Job losses were widespread again in November, although the largest
> declines continued to be  concentrated in manufacturing and help supply
> services," says BLS Acting Commissioner Lois Orr. "Since its recent peak
> in March, total nonfarm employment has fallen by 1.2 million. I would note
> that the March peak in payroll employment coincides with the recent
> recession, as recently announced by the National Bureau of Economic
> Research," she adds.  (Daily Labor Report, page AA-1, Text E-1, E-3)
>
> The nation's jobless rate jumped to 5.7 percent last month, the highest
> level in more than six years, as the recession drove employers in most
> industries to shed workers and cut costs. Nearly a half million people
> joined the ranks of the unemployed in November, bringing the total to 8.2
> million, the Labor Department reported. The increase from 5.4 percent in
> October was evidence of the continued sharp deterioration of the job
> market since the September 11 terrorist attacks. As the economy slowed
> over the past year, unemployment had been rising slowly, from a
> three-decade low of 3.9 percent in October 2000, before shooting up in the
> past two months, when 1.1 million more people lost their jobs. (Washington
> Post, December 8, 2001; page A01,
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11120-2001Dec7.html)
>
> The economy will pull out of recession next year, economists say, but the
> recovery could be disappointingly sluggish, reminiscent of the notorious
> 1991-92 "jobless recovery." Though analysts don't expect joblessness to
> match its 1992 peak of 7.8 percent, they predict the rate - which jumped
> to 5.7 percent Friday - will peak somewhere between 6 percent and 7
> percent next year. For an economy that experienced a 30-year low of 3.9
> percent little more than a year ago, that will feel grim. Weak growth
> means a weak job market. The surprising resilience of business
> productivity, which usually plummets in a recession but held at a healthy
> 1.5 percent gain in the third quarter, means companies can produce more
> with fewer workers. Employers are often slow to rehire workers after a
> slump - unless growth booms, which it's unlikely to do.
> (http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2001-12-10-recovery.htm)
>
> Employers, battling recession, are saving millions of dollars by slashing
> employee benefits such as life insurance and retirement plans.  (USA
> Today, page 1A)
>
> The US economy might not be getting back on its feet quite as quickly as
> some investors have come to believe. The unemployment rate jumped 5.7
> [...]
The picture for health insurance costs keeps getting uglier--for employers
and consumers alike. Employers expect their health-care costs to rise nearly
13 percent next year, with some companies expecting to be hit with increases
of 20 percent or more, according to a survey to be released today by
human-resource consulting firm William M. Mercer, Inc. (Wall Street Journal,
page B8)

<<application/ms-tnef>>