If you are not already familiar with them, try Myron Orfield's Metropolitan
Area Research Organization at
http://www.metroresearch.org/index.html.  They specialize in the problem of
inter-municipal differences in both need for services and the capacity to
provide them, and are very good at depicting these differences using maps.
Orfield has a new book out, _American Metropolitics_. I take it you are
looking at a rebalance in state-municipal financing while I think Orfield
focuses more on fiscal capacity within metro areas. However, I think the
general issues are similar,

Bill Burgess