Concerning my notes that I posted on-line (at
http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/faculty/jdevine/FROP/sacramento.htm),  Rakesh
writes:

>>> 1. you have confused changes in vcc with changes in occ.<<<

I wrote: >>I don't care, since what's important is the change in K/Y
(the fixed capital-output ratio). It's via this ratio that changes in
the vcc and/or the occ play a role in determining the rate of profit. If
the vcc and/or occ rise and don't raise K/Y, they're irrelevant.<<

Rakesh ripostes:>don't agree. it's good to distinguish analytically
between crisis induced effects on vcc and effects of technical change
(labor or capital saving) on occ. Due to the latter alone the VCC may
have risen. <

it may make sense to make a distinction "analytically," but if the
changes in value ratios and physical ratios are generally moving
together to change K/Y, it's the latter that's relevant. Even if the value
ratios and physical ratios are working against each other -- as in a
classic story of the interaction of tendencies and counter-tendencies,
for the purposes of a short paper all that matters is the change in K/Y.

>>In my papers that I cite in the bibliography, I talk about the "more
building of mills for the sake of building mills," which I call either
the "Tugan-Baranowsky Path" or "bootstrap growth" or "profit-led
growth." Indeed, as suggested by the last name listed, I argue that
rising profit rates and shares _encourage_ such craziness. The problem,
as I argue, is that as this kind of boom persists, the economy becomes
increasingly unstable (prone to collapse). I won't bother you with the
details of the arguments.<<

>please excerpt your analysis of why this kind of boom becomes unstable.
i ask this sincerely because as duncan foley notes in understanding
capital one cannot but agree with luxemburg's sarcastic dismissal of the
tugan vision, yet her dismissal seems predicated on the equally
untenable assumption that the purpose of capitalist production is
consumption.<

I agree that Luxemburg is wrong to dismiss Tugan. Unfortunately, due to
technical problems, I do not have my analysis in easily
computer-readable form. Both are at the library, whereas the 1994
article is on my web-site (http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~Jdevine).

Jim D.