Bill Burgess writes: >I wondered about Jim D. not including circulating
constant capital (basically materials) in explaining the change in the ROP,
especially since this is an area there have been productivity gains.<

I wrote: >>shouldn't an improvement in inventory management techniques help
labor productivity and profits (all else constant) and thus raise the rate
of profit? So it wouldn't be ignored altogether.<<

>It is partly included, and (probably) raised the ROP. But as I understand
it, in 'explaining' the ROP, you are assuming that K/Y moves with the OCC
(and that S/Y moves with the RSV?).<

S/Y moves with the rate of surplus-value (as I measure the latter), but the
K/Y _does not_ move with the OCC. The K/Y reflects both changes in
mechanization (K/L, where L is labor) and the productivity of labor (Y/L).
That is, it reflects both changes in the OCC _and_ changes in one of the
crucial counter-tendencies to the rising mechanization/falling profit rate
theory. This is a countertendency that typically comes as a _result_ of
mechanization.

>Isn't it worth getting some indication of the role of circulating (M) as
well as fixed (K) capital, roughly, that (change in) ROP = (change in)
K/Y+M/Y+S/Y?<

fine, do it. But I think that the rate of profit on fixed capital is more
important in determining the ratio of net investment to fixed capital, which
in turn is crucial to determining the fluctuations in aggregate demand. In
other words, I accept Keynes' emphasis on fixed investment.

>I cited a series that breaks down US industrial output into three
'stages' of production (materials, intermediate goods and final goods),
noting that the first two make up half of total industrial output.<

I wrote: >>I don't get how half of "value-added is accounted for by
materials and intermediate goods" since the cost of materials and purchased
intermediate goods is subtracted from total revenues when calculating a
company's value-added (since they are part of another company's total
revenues and we don't want to double-count). If you look at retail,
intermediate goods would swamp value-added altogether.<<

>I wasn't very clear.  I cited the breakdown by stage of production to
note that, to the degree that the materials and intermediate goods are
inputs to the final goods, M is large. It is typically? larger than one
year's K, i.e., there is lots of quantitative room here for 'non-K, non-S'
changes to affect the ROP.<

maybe, but materials and intermediate goods are not a big chunk of fixed
costs and thus don't represent something that capitalists are "stuck with."
They are imbalances that are gotten rid rather quickly. A capitalist cuts
back on the demand for the raw materials or intermediate goods, but is stuck
with the fixed capital that was installed in years previous.

Bill had written: >>> Subcontracted inputs have become more important. While
I suppose that in principle the accounting in separate business units should
not affect the aggregate shares of fixed capital, profits, etc., I wonder if
this is really is true. For example, is subcontracting an important vehicle
for transferring profit from subcontracters to their oligopolistic
customers. Even if the overal capital-output ratio does not change, who gets
the profits does change, through unequal exchange. Also, is it prossible
that more subconstractors means that more profit is taken in the  form of
profits rather than big salaries for managers?<<<

I wrote: >>I interpret these changes in terms of changing relations of
production -- including intracapitalist relations -- which has an effect on
the aggregate level.<<

>Do you mean, *no* effect on the aggregate level?<

no, I meant it as I wrote it.

Jim Devine