Dear Mr. Ghosh:

You have recently written:

"Similarly, consider another grievance that is frequently adduced:
U.S. support for the current regime in Saudi Arabia. This is to
my mind one of the world's most horrible regimes. But the fact is
that if  a credible alternative existed, U.S. support could not have kept
the  House of Ibn Saud in place - look at the example of the Iranian
Revolution. But the problem is that no one has bothered to create
a real alternative in Saudi Arabia - least of all Osama bin Laden. "

I am wondering what then is your explanation for this failure to
create an alternative? I would  think that this failure is at least
in part a result of the fascist nature of the Sa'udi regime which as
you know does not allow political parties, labor unions, a free
press, unofficial websites, etc. And I would think that it is
perfectly obvious that the House of Sa'ud's ability to maintain such
a reign of oppression in part derives from the arms, intelligence and
military personnel links that it enjoys with the US (see Michael
Klare's
documentation in Resource Wars)?  By not allowing a credible
alternative, the Sa'udi regime--which  is a Taleban govt in the
specific conditions of the Arabian peninsula; after all, the Saudis
had been the sponsors of the Afghani Taleban govt--bolsters in effect
the credibility of someone as monstrous as Osama bin Laden who as an
underground fanatic can alone survive the repression of the Sa'udi
regime.  I am just baffled how you can imply that US support of the
House of Sa'ud is not in important ways responsible for the possible
popularity and recruiting success an organization like al Qaida may
enjoy.  This disavowal of the (indirect) role of imperialism in this
crisis strikes me as
ill-based. I also think there is little evidence (or possibility)
that in terms of theocratic repression and labor oppression al Qaida
would be worse than the present regime which has not only terrorized
its own population but exported terror and repressive ideology
worldwide (including among the Indian Muslim population): both the
current regime and its present opponent seem to share the same
outlook towards women, labor, non Muslims and of course Wahhibism.
All the best,

Rakesh Bhandari

[EMAIL PROTECTED]