>Edward Said says:>Have any of the innumerable members of the foreign media
>covering the conflict done a story about these brutalised young Israelis
>conscripts, trained to punish Palestinian civilians as the main part of
>their military duty? I think not. <
>
>the (U.S.) NATION magazine -- which also publishes Said's stuff (and
>Henwood's) -- had a report on this, I think by Edward Friedman. (BTW, I like
>Said's stuff in al Ahram better than what the NATION publishes. It's more
>concrete, less airy.)
>JD

JD,
Said probably has the so called mainstream foreign media in mind, as
you doubtless are aware--so one wonders what your point is here. As
for your other 'points':   Greider their main global economics man
has yet to even acknowledge in the kind of detail that it deserves
the concerns expressed by Raffer and Singer.  I think Silverstein's
and Klare's pieces on Sa'udi Arabia have only scratched the surface
(in fact I think Silverstein's analysis was wrong in so far it
accorded a kind of monopoly pricing power to the putative swing
producer--note Raffer and Singer and Bina analysis that I have
discussed here, but I myself until recently had the same wrong ideas
about the Sa'udis as monopolists and OPEC as an effective cartel). As
I said, the Cortright analysis of the consequences of the sanctions
was shoddy--which again was not to say that the estimates which he
held up were not right. But hey I haven't been subbed to the Nation
for a while.

RB