Here is a brief snippet from my Marx's Crises Theories

     Moreover, the corporate form of business, wherein ownership and management
are separated, allows those who control firms to use their position to their
own advantage (Marx 1967; 3, pp. 441, 466, and 407; also see Marx and Engels
1859, pp. 490-91).  When a crises appears, such peculations come to light.
Commenting on this phenomenon, Marx wrote:
     The English railway system rolls on the same incline plane as the European
     Public Debt system.  The ruling magnates amongst the different
     railway-nets directors contract not only -- progressively -- new loans in
     order to enlarge their network, i.e., the "territory," where they rule as
     absolute monarchs, but they enlarge their respective networks in order to
     have new pretexts for engaging in new loans which enable them to pay the
     interest due to the holders of obligations, preferential shares, etc., and
     also from time to time to throw a sop to the much ill-used common
     share-holders in the shape of somewhat increased dividends.  This pleasant
     method must one day or another terminate in an ugly catastrophe.  [Marx to
     Danielson, 19 February 1881; in Marx and Engels 1975, pp. 316-17]
[

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department