The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com

Catfish Are Catfish, Unless They're Caught in a Trade
War
Elizabeth Becker New York Times Service
Thursday, January 17, 2002

BALCH, Arkansas With blue herons circling overhead as
fishermen pull in the day's catch, Joey Lowery explains
why he is doing battle with the Vietnamese to save his
own and other Mississippi Delta catfish farms.

To him, the issue is simple. Vietnam should stop
labeling imported basa fish as catfish and thereby end
what he calls its unfair piggybacking on an industry
built from scratch by farmers in Arkansas, Alabama,
Louisiana and Mississippi.

"We're not protectionists. I've never been against the
Vietnamese selling their fish in this country - I just
want them to label them properly and call a spade a
spade," said Mr. Lowery, 38, a farmer who carved out 55
ponds on a farm he inherited from his father.

To Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona and a
celebrated prisoner of war in Vietnam, the issue is
equally clear.

Just when the United States finally reached a trade
agreement with its old and bitter enemy, a clutch of
Mississippi Delta farmers got Congress to erect an
"offensive trade barrier."

"No doubt," Mr. McCain said, "on behalf of several
large, wealthy U.S. agribusinesses that will handsomely
profit by killing competition from Vietnamese catfish
imports."

In the bruising tug of war over how to manage global
trade, few issues cut closer to the bone than
agriculture and its cousin aquaculture. On one side are
industrial nations that use farm policy not only to
promote their agribusinesses overseas but to protect
their markets and farmers at home. European countries
have also used their agricultural subsidies to defend
the pastoral countryside from the onslaught of
urbanization.

Working against them are developing countries like
Vietnam that are trying to raise their standard of
living by breaking into those very markets with less
expensive products like catfish.

By translating the name of its tra fish as "catfish"
rather than "basa," the common English name of that
species, the Vietnamese have captured 20 percent of the
U.S. catfish market. Tra looks like catfish; tra tastes
like catfish.

Since Americans consume 120 million pounds (55 million
kilograms) of catfish fillets, that is a lucrative
niche.

In Arkansas alone, the catfish industry brought in $750
million last year, according to Ted McNulty, the
Arkansas state official who oversees aquaculture.

This fall Congress sided with the delta farmers and
temporarily forbade the Vietnamese from using catfish
in their labels. Now, as the Senate prepares to take up
the farm bill when it returns later this month, it is
debating whether to make that a permanent ban.

Understandably, the Vietnamese do not want to give up
their market.

"We're totally against changing our name," said Pham
Binh Ninh, deputy chief of mission at the embassy of
Vietnam in Washington.

On its Web site, the Vietnamese Embassy takes more
direct aim at American catfish farmers.

"More than 20 years after their failure during the
Vietnam War, they opt to launch a new war, as they
declare, not to fight communism, but to combat
Vietnamese tra and basa catfish."

To their frustration, American catfish farmers complain
that they are being penalized for doing exactly what
the Agriculture Department claims is needed in rural
America. They have created a new agricultural industry
for faltering farmers who turned their rice and soybean
fields into profitable fish farms in one of the poorest
regions of the country.

By giving up crop farming, these catfish farmers also
gave up heavy use of chemical fertilizers and
pesticides, a plus for the environment. And they gave
up farm subsidies - another important goal for
lawmakers looking to get the government out of farming.

Above all, the catfish farmers say, they have preserved
an important part of the sportfishing culture of the
South, as well as a culinary staple.

"We've done what we were supposed to do," said Mr.
Lowery. "When I stopped plowing and built the fish
ponds, I stopped using the chemical pesticides and
fertilizers that cause the pollution."

In his farm in the northeastern corner of Arkansas, Mr.
Lowery overseas 460 acres (185 hectares) of ponds where
he raises catfish along with large carp, which eat much
of the algae and help keep the water clean. On a recent
morning his crew of six fishermen threw out a large
seine, or net, and harvested 10,000 pounds of carp to
be shipped live to several Chinese restaurants in New
York City the next day.

"That's good, tighten the seine," Mr. Lowery shouts to
the fishermen who are clothed in wetsuits on this windy
winter day.

Agriculture inspectors have checked the ponds, and the
fish are checked routinely at the processing plants for
any traces of contaminants.

Mr. Lowery says he knows that his counterparts in
Vietnam are not put through the same rigorous
inspections.

He also said he doubts they are the ones making money
from the imports.

"Don't tell me I'm hurting the poor Vietnamese fish
farmers," he said. "I know they work to eat and not
much more; the money is being made by the middle men
who sell the fish." WHILE THE CATFISH farmers won the
first skirmish, they have yet to convince the larger
agricultural world that the Vietnamese are in the
wrong. Last year, the Food and Drug Administration,
which sets rules for naming various foods, sought
expert help on the catfish question. It consulted Carl
Ferraris Jr., an adjunct curator of icthyologyat the
California Academy of Sciences who specializes in the
world's catfish species. He sided with the Vietnamese.

"The FDA wanted some indication of whether there was
any justification for limiting the term catfish to
North American catfish, and the answer was there's no
justification, historically or scientifically, for such
a statement," Mr. Ferraris said, referring to the Food
and Drug Administration.

But Congress stepped into the debate and ignored the
agency, he said.

The catfish case also provoked an unexpected reaction
further north, in the 125-year-old herring-canning
industry of Maine.

Last fall, the office of the U.S. trade representative
agreed to requests from Maine to join a World Trade
Organization protest over a European ban on calling
anything other than European sardines by that name.

But the government hastily abandoned its plans to
defend American herring exports after Congress moved to
back the same kind of ban on labels for imported
catfish, said Jeffrey Kaelin, who lobbies on seafood
legislation.

"Here we are getting stabbed in the back," said Mr.
Kaelin, who has worked in concert with the catfish
lobby in Congress.

And Senator McCain, who worked for years to bring
Vietnam and the United States to normal diplomatic and
trade relations, has promised to fight the ban on
labeling when the Senate takes up the farm bill debate
later this year.

"Whether you are a free trader or an opponent of
harmful special interest riders hidden in big spending
bills, you can't help but find this sort of behavior to
be a scandalous abrogation of our duty to the national
interest," he said.

Lobbying on the sidelines are the diplomats and
scholars who have been part of the painstaking effort
to bring the former enemies together.

Frederick Brown, an associate director at the Johns
Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies in
Baltimore, Maryland, spoke to the Vietnamese delegation
that came to sign the trade agreement in Washington
last fall only to be confronted with the ban against
labeling their tra fish as catfish.

He said the Vietnamese were "simply baffled."

"The only way I could explain it was this is politics
American style," said Mr. Brown.