Paul Phillips writes:
> What you suggest here is that the profit rate fell despite a *falling
organic composition of capital*.  I don't disagree though I would again ask
is that because of an improper  measuring of productivity growth as I
suggested in my earlier post?  You suggest this seems to contradict
classical Marx and I would agree.  Doug in an earlier post also suggests
that Marx was wrong on some details.<

I am disagreeing with "classical Marxism" rather than with Marx himself.
Whereas Karl didn't have a complete theory of crises (cf., e.g., Simon
Clarke's 1993 _Marx's Theory of Crisis_), so-called "classical Marxism"
posits a specific theory based on one of Marx's incomplete theory-fragments
as presented in a poorly-edited posthumously-published manuscript (volume
III of CAPITAL). Actually, if we were to define "classical Marxism" in terms
of what Marxists during Marx's time believed, instead of the allegedly
"classical" rising OCC theory, we'd probably define "classical Marxism" in
terms of underconsumption or disproportionality. (That doesn't make any of
these theories right, though. People should stop using the word "classical"
to imply correctness.)

As for the issue of measuring productivity, I agree that it's always
problematic, especially when services are involved. In practice, capitalism
defines "productivity" in terms of producing exchange-value or
surplus-value, but what most people are interested in use-value is
productivity.

> I was suggesting that Marx may also have been wrong on the effect of
'globalization' (internationalization of capitalism) on what I believe you
have advocated in other papers, the 'overaccumulation of capital' which I
suggested with respect, particularly to China but also to other areas of the
3rd world -- and which has led directly to excess capital, international
competition, and a realization crisis for domestic (i.e. North American)
capital, particularly in the light of rising USD which exacerbates the
realization problem for domestic US production.<

I don't understand how Marx was wrong in your view. But I'd actually prefer
a discussion of how _I_ am wrong, since discussions of "what Marx (really)
thought" typically bog down.

>Rakesh suggests I go read Shaik to disabuse myself of such ideas. Well, I
have read Shaik, even talked to him about it when he visited our department.
We also have a Shaik ex-student on our  faculty and we frequently have this
discussion -- he gave a couple of lectures in my class last week where this
very issue came up.<

Shaikh's foreign trade analysis makes sense to me, but his crisis theory
doesn't, except in a limited way. In very simple terms, he argues that
capitals drive themselves into a situation of lower profit rates because
they seek higher profit margins. That makes some sense (under a relatively
strong labor regime) -- but it's only a short-term, cyclical, theory.
There's no reason why there should ever be a long-term downward trend in the
rate of profit, since crises purge imbalances such as excessively high
organic compositions and because the capitalists get the workers to pay for
crises.

>And Jim, as you remember, gave an early version of your paper on the
origins of the great depression at a seminar in our department --  was it 15
years ago Jim? [yup!] So I would appreciate a little less patronizing by
Rakesh and perhaps a more discretionary interpretation of scripture.<

I don't understand this. I don't want to interpret scripture. (You can take
the boy out of the Unitarian "church," but you can't take the Unitarianism
out of the boy. I'm a skeptic, not a quoter of scripture.) I hope that _I_
haven't been patronizing.

> Still, Jim, I think that the question of what was the real increase in
productivity (and thus the organic composition) and the impact on
realization of the rising exchange rate and increased competition, has yet
to be answered.<

I don't think it's right to equate increases in labor productivity with
increases in the organic composition. There's a lot of variance in that
relationship. In my paper that I presented in Sacramento, I didn't even
measure the "organic composition," since I was more interested in the
_combination_ of the effects of rising "capital intensity" and rising labor
productivity on the rate of profit. I interpret the fixed K/Y ratio as
measuring this combination of tendency and counter-tendency.

Also, I'm not exactly clear what questions you are asking. I hope that
you'll indulge me by repeating your questions in a way that I can
understand.

I do think that the rise of the USD in the late 1990s is an important fact
that needs to be brought into the analysis, though. The rising dollar went
along with -- or was due to -- a massive capital flow into the US which
helped finance the investment & consumption booms of the late 1990s until
2000: investment could continue to rise despite the cyclical downturn in the
profit rate and real GDP could continue to rise despite a worsening US trade
deficit (and budget surpluses).

Jim Devine