The mainstream argument is that exchange rates adjust
to wash away all tax advantages, whether legal or illegal.

Not being a trade person, the best argument I can
think of goes like this:
If you want to buy US goods, you need dollars to pay
for them.  A cost reduction in said goods increases
demand for dollars relative to other currencies, cost
of dollar (and good, in importer's currency) go up,
cost advantage disappears.  I'm not familiar with
the Grossman paper.

If you have less faith in the flexibility of the price system,
you would favor the position that cost savings improve
U.S. competitiveness, so there are indeed tax subsidies,
relative to tax systems with no special concessions
for exports.  In the latter sense, the VAT and the CIT both
subsidize exports.  The U.S. problem is that the latter
is GATT illegal, and now thanks to the WTO, the U.S.
faces the prospect of actually facing up to the dictum
that crime doesn't pay.

The fun part comes when the free trade maniacs in Congress
are confronted with a breach of U.S. sovereignty (something
they claimed couldn't happen), in the form of instructions from
commie-pinko Europeans to change our red-white-and-blue tax
system.   It's kind of sweet.

max