Hope on the horizon for those fearing deflation. Also looks like something the
Justice Department might be interested in  ;>)

>From EETimes (http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020130S0028) an article
about memory chips for, among other things, personal computers:

"Major DRAM manufacturers are putting their heads together in an effort to
coordinate production capacity. . . .Among the participants are Samsung
Electronics, Micron and Infineon Technologies. . ."There are getting to be
fewer and fewer suppliers so we have to work more closely," he said. "There is
a lot of contact with these guys."

"Suppliers are comparing notes about production quantities across different
product lines, capacity plans and the expected supply of Intel's Pentium 4
chip in an effort to balance supply with demand. "We are not talking pricing
because that is illegal, but we are talking about how to cooperate — how to
ensure that the supply side does not get crazy," he said.

(NOTE: OPEC generally doesn't talk pricing either.)

"After nearly a year of dismal memory chip pricing, DRAMs have shot up by more
than 250 percent from their November low. . ."

Eric