" ... if you want to point out that there's exploitation going on. you
don't need the
 LTV to do this"

I'm not entirely sure why one would merely want to point out that
exploitation
is going on in capitalist society.  In theory, it seems to me that this is
a static
approach to reality.   In practice, most people who work would say--Fine.
Exploit me.
But I'll  settle for a steady job with good pay.

What Marx attempts  to show is that in the process of creating new value,
already
existing value in the form of  fixed  capital is destroyed.   It is this
destruction
of value that makes increasing the degree of exploration a capitalist
imperative.
If a capitalist can make a 20% return using a new machine, then those with
older
machines making, say 15%, can only minimize the amount they must  write-off
by
exploiting their workers more efficiently.   At the same time, the 20%
fellows
can't rest easy as their machines may face the same fate in the not so
distant future.
Thus, workers are never offered that steady job with good pay.