This is not productive Jum. Maybe the thread has run its course.

In other messages of yours that I've responded to, you've
>implied that those who don't accept your vision of analytical Marxism were
>religious in some way.

I don't think this.

>BTW, I find religious attitudes all the time in economics. For example,
>there's the worship of the market (the U of Chicago) . . .

Of course.

However, it
>does make sense to quote the so-called "Master":  Marx's theory forms a
>unified whole that differs from the standard academic orthodoxy and is
>often
>misinterpreted.

Surer, but one only argues from quotes to establish a scholarly, not a
substantive point. I quote from marx for thsi purpose all the time, as I'm a
MArx scholar.

In fact, a lot of people misrepresent Marx. I have poor
>memory for quotes, so I don't do it, especially since it's quite easy for
>someone to quote like crazy and still misinterpret Marx (as Jon Elster,
>among others, does so often). (As my old friend Steve Zeluck used to say,
>"the devil can quote scipture." Elster is much better when he does
>micro-theory than when he writes about Marx.)
>
> >>Is Marxism a cult . . . >
> > Your word, not mine.<
>
>what?? you said the following in the message I responed to: >>>the
>shrinking
>number of adherents increasingly resemble a threatened cult<<< I see the
>word "cult" there. Or am I blind?

No, but you miss the difference between a simile and a statement of fact.

What evidence do you have for this being a
>"increasing proportion"?

Subjective impressions.

>Often, the folks who quote Marx all the time are not doing it for the
>religious motives that you attribute to them. The history of economic (and
>political-economic) thought is a well-known and respectable field.

And I will argue scholarship with Marx scholars happily till I am blue in
the face.

>We have to avoid this false dichomy of "reasonable people" vs.
>"fundamentalists."
We also have to avoid fundamentalism.

>BTW, as Lakatos and Kuhn and others have pointed out, it is quite
>reasonable
>for scientists to cling to core propositions "even in the face of
>overwhelming contrary argument and experience."

Sometimes. Depends onw hether the reserach program is degenerating. I think
the value theory RP is degeneating, and Marxism asa  RP is in poor shape,
albeit for understandable historical reasons.

Similarly,
>Marxian economics can use the true-by-definition law of value to understand
>the world.

I don;ts ee it for reasons I have explained.

jks