>>I don't see Marxian (labor) values as normative, except as
representing "bourgeois right" (sale at value is treated as "equal
exchange" in CAPITAL).<<

>How is the concept of exploitation, which seems to be the heart of
the LTV, not normative? <

As Cornel West's analysis of Marx's take on morality suggests, Marx
applied the standards of "bourgeois right" (trading at price = value) to
show that capitalist violates _its own standards_. Marx clearly had his
own moral standards, but he never elaborated on them (he was never an
ethicist): living in an era (not that different from our own) when
people throw around moral slogans and then routinely turn around to
violate them, he focused instead on the contrast between moral theory
and practice. West argues that Marx gave up on the project of finding
the fundamental basis for all morality. [partly because he saw efforts such
as Kant's as so sterile.]

^^^^^^^^

CB: My take on Marx normative issues is that he asserts many injunctions ( such as
"Workers of the world , unite", "the thing is to change the world") , so he has an
ethical component to his theory. Ethics is what one does, and so Marx's emphasis on
the unity of theory and practice is the general statement that there is an ethical
dimension to Marxism. There is a famous letter to his father when he was young in
which he claims to have found a way to unite the "is" and the "ought ".  I get the
impression he did not use explicit reference to "morals" and "ethics" because the
philosophers and theologians had given those topics such a bad name.  "Practice" of
revolutionary theory is his ethics.

On exploitation, my take is that he noticed that in FACT, throughout history,
exploited and oppressed classes struggle against their exploitation and oppression.
Opposition to exploitation is a human natural ethical project ; the "is" of history
and the "ought" of what is to be done are united in the class struggle of exploited
classes.