At 12/02/02 16:42 -0800, you wrote:
>    Ken Hanly is right. Google in the hands of Pugliese can find any damn
>thing.
>Michael Pugliese

Yes I try to learn from this technique. It is rather like free association
in a very large group. You do not always know whether your association is
the relevant one, or the previous speaker's/ writer's or the associations
that Google shows up.

But in a wider sense I think the point is proved that there is a material
base that is continually going to throw up dialectical thinking and
materialist thinking.

>Zoroastrian and Parsis in Science Fiction
>... Kim Stanley Robinson, Red Mars. New York: Bantam (1993) (Nebula
>award), 2059, Pg. 418: "No wonder Marxism is dead." ...
>www.adherents.com/lit/sf_zor.html

The link here is with the ancient idealist dialectics of Zoroastrianism.
They may be out of fashion but G W Bush thinks the world is a battle
between Good and Evil.

And a science fiction writer who lards his story of the colonisation of
Mars with references to Marx, some of which, I suspect, are not wholly
irrelevant.

Fashions come round faster and fast these days and the taboo against
Marxism has largely gone. I mean the winner of Pop Idol in the UK managed
to succeed without having to go through a political witch hunt because of a
vaguely positive remark about Marx. At a follow up interview with a
journalist on the Guardian:

>I bowl him Karl Marx who he admits to studying for a couple of weeks. Marx
>made him question the "easy option" of trying to make a lot of money
>(something Engels did for his old mate), but it hasn't made him vote yet.
>"I don't know why. Perhaps I've become a bit more cynical."

That's fine.

Chris Burford

London