[was: RE: [PEN-L:22827] Re: Re: Re: Marxism as Science and Religion]

Alan C writes:
> ... In my view, a top-down organization is not very likely to "reflect the
views of the masses". As I see it, these views will get reflected only when
the masses themselves  participate actively in the discussion, distilling,
and presentation of their views. You certainly don't need a group of
paternalistic iluminati to reflect the masses' views for you.

> This is precicely the discussion taking place in many of the 55 plus
neighborhood assemblies in Buenos Aires today. There is a strong emphasis on
maintaining the horizontal organization. People have been screwed over by
representatives (of every political colour) and no longer want to  delegate
"the views of the masses" to representatives.<

how about delegatory democracy, in which these neighborhood assemblies elect
delegates, not representatives. Delegates are subject to easy recall. This
is one aspect of the Paris Commune-style democracy that Marx admired.

(Of course, the issue of popular representation is a different one from that
of how to organize a leftist organization, though many of the same points
apply.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine