At  2/14/2002, you wrote:
>actually, it might make sense for the main South American currencies to peg
>their currencies _to each other_ rather than to the dollar (or to what's the
>name of that European currency...? ;-))
>Jim Devine

There are talks going on, as I write, about creating a common Mercosur
currency. It is unclear how far this will go with the high instability in
Argentina, but the talks are happening. Many here feel that Duhalde will
not last much longer, and it is anybody's guess what might happen then,
though open elections (including more than just political parties) are one
of the demands of the assembly movement.

Alan