--- Message Received ---
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:31:43 -0800
Subject: [PEN-L:23257] RE: God

Good points below (Jim and Charles). It could be said that God exists is so far as it
is a projection of (hu)man (which puts a different twist on atheism then the simple
contention that it does not).

By the way, the original sin was eating of the tree of knowledge, which proved its own
punishment, as Adam and Eve sought to clothe their nakedness (ie sought possessions
because of this knowledge). God's expulsion of them from the Garden of Eden appears as
a final confirmation of this sin, something of a foregone conclusion given what they
had done.

The story is simple and very profound, once at one with nature, they were naked
(without possessions) but they broke with this, gained knoweldge and because of this
could no longer live in innocence, knowledge caused them to be ashamed at not having
clothes (possessions), knowing their nakedness was to know how to rectify it and begin
the labour to do so.

IT is an old story large parts taken from Babylonian/Summarian sources (Epic of
Gilgamesh which is also transformed into the story of Noah). Quite possibly both
stories reach back to the transition from hunting gathering to agriculture.

The snake is a low thing of the earth - thought to issue forth from the bowels of the
earth, while its yearly slothing of skin was seen as representing the change of
seasons which dictate the fertility of the soil. Thus this feature of the earth (its
fertility) tempted "man" with the fruit of the tree of knowledge - it was woman who
took to this (discovers of horticulture) from which man ate.

Of course a lot of other ideas are piled on top, but given the lack of science and
abstract nature of theology, not a bad story at all - God is truely the reflection of
humanity.

The problem with fundementalists is that they really don't try to understand what they
read.

JIM:
Charles writes:>Your view sounds like Marx's. Marx doesn't say God doesn't
exist, but that God is alienated man ( which I take to be humanity). And
directly to what you say, he says the basis of irreligious criticism is man
(sic) makes religion, religion doesn't make man. ( A feminist critique might
note that it is indeed men who make religion, not women)<

I have been influence by Marx, a lot. It's also Freud's view -- and
Feuerbach's -- that God is a human projection of our own inner images.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use LesTecML Mailer (http://www.lestec.com.au/)
* Powerful filters.
* Create you own headers.
* Have email types launch scripts.
* Use emails to automat your work.
* Add comments on receive.
* Use scripts to extract and check emails.
* Use MAID to create taylor-made solutions.
* LesTecML Mailer is fully controlled by REXX.
* A REXX interpreter is freely available.