>I have little faith that formal models clarify much or avoid
misrepresentations
>of reality.  I have asked the list for examples of formal models that have
>taught them anything that they could not have learned by other means.  I
think
>Peter Dorman may have been the only one who responded.

I've yet to see a decent explanation of risk-neutral pricing (most normally
seen in the context of the Black-Scholes and/or Cox/Ingersoll/Ross options
pricing models, but a very powerful economic idea of very general
application) which didn't involve some sort of formalism.  I'm not saying it
can't be done, but I don't know how one would go about it.

dd

Email Disclaimer

This communication is for the attention of the
named recipient only and should not be passed
on to any other person. Information relating to
any company or security, is for information
purposes only and should not be interpreted as
a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any security.
The information on which this communication is based
has been obtained from sources we believe to be reliable,
but we do not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.
All expressions of opinion are subject to change
without notice.  All e-mail messages, and associated attachments,
are subject to interception and monitoring for lawful business purposes.