>Though I could be wrong, my understanding is that Roemer would have
>accepted
>Marx's story (of capitalist exploitation as based on structural coercion)
>when he developed his own story, but saw the structural coercion as
>unnecessary to the existence of exploitation.

That is exactly correct.

jks
^^^^^

Charles: On this Roemer makes the understanding of capitalism less exact than Marx's,
yet he crtiques Marx under the rubric of making him more exact. Marx developed nice
empirically based differentia specifica for capitalist exploitation; Roemer seeks to
make the understanding more blunt, less sharp.

The mass of consumers have to be free enough to receive wages and buy the great mass
of commodities for capitalism to function. This status is not compatible with being
coerced as slaves or serfs were in exploitation. So, the "structural coercion" of
being also "free" of ownership of the means of production _is_ necessary for
capitalist relations of production.

Jim Devine has often discussed the doubly "free" complex.

Marx was aware that within capitalism , slavery is constantly being reproduced as a
minor division of labor as a historical tendency of capitalist accumulation ( see
below), but wage-labor is its characteristic form of exploitation. The paradox of
coercion and voluntariness is captured in the slang expression "wage-slave" for
wage-labor. The notion that "structural coercion is unnecessary to the existence of
exploitation" is evidence of an ahistorical approach in Roemer's method. The overthrow
of capitalism is not aided by dumbing down from Marx's insights.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch32.htm

"As soon as this process of transformation has sufficiently decomposed the old society
from top to bottom, as soon as the laborers are turned into proletarians, their means
of labor into capital, as soon as the capitalist mode of production stands on its own
feet, then the further socialization of labor and further transformation of the land
and other means of production into socially exploited and, therefore, common means of
production, as well as the further expropriation of private proprietors, takes a new
form. That which is now to be expropriated is no longer the laborer working for
himself, but the capitalist exploiting many laborers. This expropriation is
accomplished by the action of the immanent laws of capitalistic production itself, by
the centralization of capital. One capitalist always kills many. Hand in hand with
this centralization, or this expropriation of many capitalists by few, develop, on an
ever-extending scale, the co-operative form of the labor-proces!
s, the conscious technical application of science, the methodical cultivation of the
soil, the transformation of the instruments of labor into instruments of labor only
usable in common, the economizing of all means of production by their use as means of
production of combined, socialized labor, the entanglement of all peoples in the net
of the world-market, and with this, the international character of the capitalistic
regime. Along with the constantly diminishing number of the magnates of capital, who
usurp and monopolize all advantages of this process of transformation, grows the mass
of misery, oppression, slavery, degradation, exploitation; but with this too grows the
revolt of the working-class, a class always increasing in numbers, and disciplined,
united, organized by the very mechanism of the process of capitalist production
itself. The monopoly of capital becomes a fetter upon the mode of production, which
has sprung up and flourished along with, and under it. Cent!
ralization of the means of production and socialization of labor at la
become incompatible with their capitalist integument. Thus integument is burst
asunder. The knell of capitalist private property sounds. The expropriators are
expropriated. "