Stolen from Tim Bousquet's local mailing list:

Can't make this up. This is from Lloyd Grove's regular
                column from the Washingtom Post, and if you don't
                believe me see it for yourself at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45517-2002Mar6.html

                It reads (toward the bottom):

                "Here's a vignette we're dying to see on the ABC
                broadcast of Sunday's Ford's Theatre Presidential
                Gala: When Stevie Wonder sat down at the keyboard
                center stage, President Bush in the front row got very
                excited. He smiled and started waving at Wonder, who
                understandably did not respond. After a moment Bush
                realized his mistake and slowly dropped the errant
                hand back to his lap. 'I know I shouldn't have,' a
                witness told us yesterday, 'but I started laughing.'"

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department