Jim D wrote:

It's interesting that a foreign-trade&finance expert like PK never mentions
that a lot of the steel industry's problems recently have been due to the
steep appreciation of the dollar (relative to its biggest trading partners)
since 1995.
______
Yet this raises the question: if the high dollar has cost jobs,
should protectionism be adopted? I wonder whether Jim agrees with
Krugman's criticism of protectionism?

As Eisner pointed out, protectionism on behalf of US based textiles
or steel may limit the supply of dollars abroad and raise the value
of the dollar, which could say tip the balance in favor of Airbus
over Boeing. The high dollar may be a problem but I think Krugman is
correct that tariffs and indiscriminate usage of import surge and
anti dumping clauses are  not a good response to it.

  I also think Krugman  is correct that trade nationalism, strong
among the left, put that rather unlovely dude in office, but then
Doug and Max already know I warned long ago that not vociferously and
analytically critiquing the post Seattle trade nationalism was a huge
political mistake.

  It's too bad leftists don't fight trade nationalism--are we to
defend our capitalists against others as they all jostle in deciding
whose excess capacity is to be eliminated?

I have recalled a book by Michael Billig, Banal Nationalism; I think
it will make for very good reading.

rb