The US has made clear that its policy is one of  "regime change"
(=overthrowing Hussein) whether the Iraq allows inspectors in or not. For
this reason he probably believes that there is no point in letting
inspectors in to spy again and allow identification of targets for
subsequent bombing. However I don't see why Hussein does not stall and go
through the motions of negotiating a return of inspectors at the very least.
Perhaps he might even be able to negotiate something acceptable. As long as
there is a hope for a diplomatic solution it would seem there would be much
less unity and support for the US position of regime change.
    The danger from Al-Qaida in the US has been wildly exaggerated it seems
to me. Not one cell has been found in the US. There have been no significant
terrorist attacks in the US since 9/11 with the possible exception of the
anthrax attacks but even they seem not directly related to Al Qaida. It
seems that if  Al-Qaida existed in significant numbers in the US there would
have been more terrorist activity than there has been. But what happens when
the terror war is extended to countries that  may actually have the capacity
for significant retaliation. Is the Bush administration sure that Iraq is
unable to retaliate using bio-weapons etc. The most dangerous feature of the
present war on terrror is the overwhelming hubris of the US. I just hope
that Iraq is not resigned to the US attack and is preparing to show what the
cost might be. There seems to be almost no discussion of Iraq's capabilities
except insofar as they might impact Israel.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

March 11, 2002

FBI fails to expose al-Qaeda networks
By Daniel McGrory

THOUSANDS of FBI agents have rounded up more than 1,300 suspects across
America since September 11, but they have failed to find a single al-Qaeda
cell operating in the United States.
Tom Ridge, the Director of Homeland Security, admitted yesterday that he
suspected that there were active cells in the US, but he could not explain
why none had been caught.

"I think we should assume and we should operate under the notion that some
still are in the United States," he said.

Security authorities in more than 60 countries have arrested suspects linked
to Osama bin Laden, but none of the hundreds detained has yet been found to
have any links with terrorism.

Only two of the top 20 most-wanted al-Qaeda suspects are known to have been
caught or killed: Mohammed Atef, third-in-command to Osama bin Laden, died
in a rocket attack on Kabul; and Anas al-Liby, a computer expert who lived
in Manchester and is said to have helped to compile al-Qaeda's terrorist
training manual, has been arrested. No one in the American military or
intelligence services knows where bin Laden is.

While the British and other governments accept that many of their young
Muslims travelled to Afghanistan for training in al-Qaeda camps, the only
American accused of following that path is John Walker, "the American
Taleban" who is facing trial in Washington.

Mr Ridge marked the six-month anniversary of the terrorist attacks on New
York and Washington by announcing that there would be a new national threat
alarm system based on a five-level colour code.