I don't see the problem with the notion of a physical surplus.  The
surplus product is production over and above production of the (socially
and historically determined) means of subsistence.  My understanding is
that the time required to produce the means of subsistence is necessary
labor time.  Total labor time (TLT) - necessary labor time (NLT) =
surplus labor time (SLT).  If TLT > NLT, SLT is positive, and there must
be a physical form of the goods produced during SLT, no?

There is another sense in which I might agree with you, but that would
only hold if we also rejected the notion of "surplus labor time" as
well.  But if we accept SLT, then it is hard for me to imagine how there
is no physical surplus product.  But I might be convinced.