Mine writes:

> am i wrong in assuming that Burford always finds a
> tricky way to apologize imperialism?

This is not my reading of Chris, Mine. I have no doubts about
Chris' sincerity. He is as concerned as the rest of us, in my
opinion, of course. What we don't agree with him is his solution,
not that I think there exists a solution on which we all agree.
We will have to figure that solution out collectively.

The below piece from UK, the one Macdonald sent to Lou's list, is
interesting. We will see whether Dubya and Tony will be able to
run a show of their own or not.

Power to the UK majority,
Sabri

++++++++

BBC. 19 March 2002. US says Iraq linked to al-Qaeda.

WASHINGTON -- Iraq has had contact with al-Qaeda and may be
working with
the group, the head of the CIA has told the US Senate.

"Baghdad has a long history of supporting terrorism," said George
Tenet,
director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

"It has also had contacts with al-Qaeda," he told the Senate's
Armed
Services Committee.

The comments come as the US Vice-President, Dick Cheney, winds up
an
international tour aimed at building support for a possible
attack
against Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq, and as Iraqi officials
try to
shore up support in the region.

Mr Tenet did not present any new hard evidence of Iraqi collusion
with
al-Qaeda to the committee [not surprisingly].

And he said the jury was out on whether Iraq had been involved in
the 11
September attacks on New York and Washington, blamed on al-Qaeda.

Co-operation between Iraq and al-Qaeda had previously been
thought
unlikely because of their different philosophies.

"Their ties may be limited by divergent ideologies, but the two
sides'
mutual antipathies toward the United States and the Saudi royal
family
suggests that tactical co-operation between them is possible," Mr
Tenet
said.

The CIA chief's comments are likely to be seen as providing
further
grounds for a potential US attack against the Iraqi regime.

He said that Saddam Hussein was "well aware" of the "serious
consequences" which he could face for co-operation with al-Qaeda.

Mr Tenet also insisted that Iraq was continuing with its
programme to
produce weapons of mass destruction.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Washington says that Mr Tenet's testimony
is part
of a US attempt to build up a picture of Iraq as a threat to the
region.