[was: RE: [PEN-L:24200] RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: "Nobel" Prize]

Why is it that "game theory" focuses only on the 2x2 matrix type of game (or
the N-person game)? or am I wrong to think that it is so one-tracked in its
mind?

When I'm wasting my time (in other ways besides silly e-mail discussions), I
wonder if a game of solitaire could be used as an analogy for real-world
situations the way the 2x2 game is used as a metaphor for some specific
social situations. Perhaps Lenin or some other social revolutionary could be
modeled as playing "freecell," with the chances of victory depend on not
only on what's "in the cards" (the situation created by the conflict of
forces & relations of production) but also on strategy & skill. Maybe this
analogy is a way of reconciling determinism and the role of individual
leaders.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine