>Struggling to get a handle on U.S. foreign policy? For starters, try
>dusting
>off your Livy and boning up on the Second Punic War. Or dip into a good
>history of 19th-century Britain, paying close attention to those dazzling
>military campaigns in the Middle East - the Battle of Omdurman, say, or the
>Second Afghan War.

In grad school in Ann Arbor,, this must have been around 1986-87, I was
waiting for Michael Lowy, the French-Brazilian Marx scholar (author books on
Che, Lukacs, liberation theology, etc.), whom I was meeting for lunch, and
he was late, as usual. So I pulled out my Tacitus, I was reading the Annals,
carrying it around with me, starting reading about Tiberus, and how the more
vaguely he doubletalked, the more enthusiatically the Senators would
applaud. Michael came up, saw what I was reading, said, why are you reading
that? Got to keep up with news, I said. (This was during the reign of the
Great Communicator . . . .) jks