The Financial Express

March 29, 2002

BP, Sinopec Launch Petrochemical Plant In China

Shanghai, March 28:  Oil titan BP and China's Sinopec Corp launched a
massive $2.7 billion petrochemical complex on Thursday, hoping slumping
product prices would recover by 2005 when the plant goes into operation.
The complex, BP's largest single petrochemical investment in the world,
would begin pumping out 900,000 tonnes per year (TPY) of ethylene long after
the global petrochemical industry emerged from the painful downturn of the
past two years, executives said.
"It's been perhaps more dire than a slump. These have been awful market
conditions," said managing director for Asia, Byron Grote. "We're seeing
early signs of improved economic activity and therefore improved demand for
petrochemical products."
BP and Sinopec officials estimated China would still need to import 40 per
cent of its ethylene by 2005 - versus about half now - boding well for the
complex's ethylene-based products.
"We're confident that conditions will be better by the time this
petrochemical complex comes onstream in three years," Mr Grote told a news
conference in Shanghai.
BP holds 50 per cent in the joint venture company, Shanghai SECCO, while
Sinopec has 30 per cent and its subsidiary Shanghai Petrochemical owns 20
per cent.
It will be China's largest ethylene cracker and one of the world's biggest.
By 2005, China is projected to consume 13 million tonnes per year of
ethylene, the building block of plastics and other chemicals, Sinopec's
Chairman Li Yizhong said. But domestic capacity would be just 8.35 million
tonnes, he estimated. Presently low petrochemical usage in China also
indicated the potential for growth. Li forecast the average Chinese uses 16
kilograms (35.27 lb) of plastics a year, versus a worldwide mean of about 35
kilograms.
"We witnessed a cyclical low in 2001. This year it seems prices are picking
up pace," he told reporters.
Sinopec is expected to report a sharp decline in 2001 profits on Thursday,
hit by sharp drops in crude oil and ethylene prices.
- Reuters

© 2002: Indian Express Newspapers (Bombay) Ltd. All rights reserved
throughout the world.