Telos
No. 54, Winter 1982-83

Juan E. Corradi: The Mode of Destruction: Terror in Argentina
Michal Reiman: Political Trials of the Stalinist Era
Frederick Johnstone: State Terror in South Africa
Norberto Bobbio: Italy's Permanent Crisis
Norbert Elias: Civilization and Violence

Notes and Commentary:

Joel Kovel: Theses on Technocracy
Klaus Segbers: The European Peace Movements, The Soviet Union
and the American Left
Halina M. Charwat: Poland: August 1980-December 1982: A Conference
Report
Stanislaw Warecki: The Landscape After Battle
Adam Michnik: An Open Letter to International Public Opinion

Reviews:

Russell Berman: Joachim Hirsch, Der Sicherheitsstaat
Russell Jacoby: Ira H. Cohen, Ideology and Consciousness
Gregory Calvert: Wini Breines, Community and Organization in
the New Left
Paul Mattick, Jr.: Rudolph Hilferding, Finance Capital
Ellen Comisso: Miklas Haraszti, A Worker in a Workers' State

This page Copyright © Telos Press, Ltd., 1997. All Rights Reserved

Studies in
>Society and History April 1992
>
>--Herman Schwartz, "Foreign Creditors and the Politics of Development
in
>Australia and Argentina, 1880-1913"
>
>Most importantly, I will draw from the aptly titled collection
"Prologue to
>Perón: Argentina in Depression and War, 1930-1943", edited by
Mark Falcoff
>and Ronald Dolkart. In their introduction, they write:
>
>"The Argentine dilemma finds its roots, we believe, in the abrupt
>disappearance of the conditions that made possible the emergence
of the
>modern republic in the late nineteenth century. Those conditions
were the
>existence of the British Empire as a principal market for foodstuffs,
the
>international division of labor, and the relatively free movement
of goods
>and services across national boundaries. For most underdeveloped
countries
>those props were perceptibly weakening as early as 1914, but
for
>Argentina--thanks to a peculiar constellation of circumstances--they
lasted
>until 1930. Then, under the combined impact of the world depression
and the
>Second World War, they collapsed. The failure of Argentina's
leadership to
>respond adequately to the double crisis explains, we hold, the
Revolution