Your Brainstorms, Her Glory
Lessons in Coping With One Who Plays an Underhanded Game

By Amy Joyce
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 14, 2002; Page H06

She loves her job, she likes the challenging work and relishes the fact that the
office isn't far from home.
She even enjoys the clients she works with. But.

There is that one co-worker. The idea-stealing, sabotaging, swaggering co-worker. The
person that our woman
who loves her job has to work with every day. Closely.

When her co-worker was new, the woman was asked to clue her in on projects the woman
was creating, but soon it
became clear that the new employee was doing more than learning the ropes. Piece by
piece, the woman
discovered that her co-worker was claiming the ideas as her own. Once, when the woman
proposed several
activities for an upcoming program, the conniving co-worker presented them to the CEO
and stole the credit --
though, when a few of the ideas were said to be excessive, she made sure to attribute
those to our woman.

It got to the point where the co-worker was praised by the company's chief executive
as the only one in the
small office who had accomplished her goals by the end of the quarter -- even though
they were conceived and
accomplished by others. And she strutted it.

How do employees go to work, only to face a back-stabber? What method is there for
reporting it, if you think
reporting it will only come back to crash your career even more?

The woman whose ideas have been appropriated decided there wasn't much she could do.
Complain to the boss
about the back-stabbing, idea-stealing employee? She'd just look like a complainer.
Call the co-worker on it?
The other woman might do more of the same just to protect herself, or even take it a
step further and ruin
this woman's reputation.

Such situations create a lot of daily stress. If you know this awaits you at work,
it's hard to get out of bed
in the morning, isn't it? It can drag you down, kill your creativity and turn an
otherwise great job into an
albatross.

Our pal here tries to shake the albatross by coming home, drinking a glass of wine and
going for a lo-o-o-ng
walk. It's sad, though, she said, because her two small children "now think work is a
horrible thing."

"Who's the problem, the co-worker who takes credit for my work . . . and blames us for
her errors [and]
inability to make budget, or the CEO for fostering this climate?" she asked.

Well, probably both. She knows that, and she knows there has to be something she can
do. But frankly, her
mother, friends and husband are all a little tired of listening to her complaints, and
tired of giving
suggestions that she just doesn't think will work.

"I try to block it off, and say that it's just her, not the job," said the woman. "But
I'm so steamed, I don't
want to do the job anymore."

Which is why, says Cynthia Olson, a director at Mediation Training Institute
International, she has to stand
up to this co-worker. But not in a way that makes the co-worker feel she is being
stood up to.

For now, the woman decided to keep doing her best work, and keep her ideas from the
traitorous employee. When
she has a new idea, she mentions it to her boss before her co-worker finds out about
it. Simple enough.

"Hopefully, down the road, they'll say, 'Okay, this person is working,' " she said. "I
also keep the CEO
apprised of what's going on. And when I get an e-mail from someone saying, 'Good job,'
I send that on" to the
boss.

Okay, these are all good practices. But then there is another "but," namely, is that
solution just going to
make the woman's attitude about the icky co-worker worsen?

Probably, says Olson.

If you don't confront the person in question, Olson says, you end up talking to others
about it, and pretty
soon you're a gossip. You end up participating in a workplace that becomes
factionalized and where people gang
up on one another.

Most times, the best way to handle these things is to talk about them adult to adult,
said Daniel Dana, author
of "Managing Differences" and president of the Mediation Training Institute
International.

There's something we all seem to forget. Just as all the relationship gurus out there
say: Communication is
key. Sounds corny but it's true.

Olson said we have to let problem co-workers know what we need without blaming them.
And there's that other
little thing we have to force ourselves to do: Listen. Acknowledge that the other
person has a point of view.
Yes, even if you're sure that point of view is wrong.

"But that doesn't mean don't state clearly what we need, and what the impact of their
actions are on us," she
said. "A lot of times, folks just don't understand what they did to us. So we build up
resentment that doesn't
help anybody."

Least of all, us.