James Devine wrote:
> Obviously, most of Marx's ideas come from previous political economists
and
> not just from Hume (who developed quantity theory of money, not Locke).

This is of Locke:
"So far as the Change of Interest conduces in Trade to the bringing in or
carrying out Money or commodities, and so in time to the varying their
Proportions here in England from what it was before, so far the change of
Interest as all other things that promote or hinder Trade may alter the
Value of Money in reference to Commodities." (Some Considerations of the
Consequences of the Lowering of Interest and the Raising the Value of Money,
London, 1691)

> By the way, the quantity theory of money is a bit like Newtonian physics

I agree with that, as the quantity theory absolutely needs an instantaneous
and global confrontation between money and goods. Hume had jeopardized his
theory in the same time he wrote it, as he saw the prices rising "by degree"
(Of money in Essays Moral, Political and Literary, Indianapolis, Liberty
Classics, 1985). But what is the adjustment variable, as long as prices,
rising 'by degree", have not yet adjusted demand with supply? Of course, it
is the variation of stocks. Now, when stocks stop declining, that means that
supply matches demand, and there is then no reason left for prices to rise.
It would be hard to admit that stocks were declining during inflation (and
growth) periods of 16th and 20th centuries, for example. This is the reason
why neoclassicists, in order to save their inflation theory, have invented
the "rational expectations", thanks to which the instantaneous confrontation
may do not exist on the real markets, as it is present into the minds.

> it applies in very specific situations but fails in other situations. The
> quantity theory applies best with countries with very poorly developed
> financial systems if they are at full employment of resources.

I have been believing that for years. I do not anymore. There are indeed two
specific and different situations, but I now think that the diffrence is
between the character of money issuing. There is a true inflation by money,
when money issuing is pathogen. That is, if some power (official or
criminal, or both) issues a money that can never been destroyed because it
does not exist in any liability column of any account. On the contrary, the
keynesian "budget deficit" mobilzes the saving it allows, so that accounts
are balanced. As for the poorest countries, when they are not subverted by
an irresponsible or criminal power, their inflation is the result of both
the price of imports and the price of the currency they have to pay import
with (at random, the dollar).

Best wishes to you, James

RK