but according to the Cambridge UK folks, you can't measure
capital stock to begin with . . .  To me the interest rate(s) is
more meaningful, since at least it is observed and is the
object of literal transactions, unlike "capital."

profits are susceptible to what I suspect are flaky inventory
valuation and capital consumption adjustments, and even
a pristine profit rate can mislead in light of the time profile
of investment returns.

mbs