Hypocrites
by Michael Perelman
22 April 2002 21:38 UTC

Today's WSJ has another one of those op-ed pieces saying a corporation
cannot commit a crime; only individuals can.  These people want to give
the corps. all the benefits of "individuals" [free speech, etc.], but
immunity from penalties.

^^^^^^^^

CB: From the beginning , they pretty much did this in our faces. The main thing about
a corporation is limited liability for the "humans", the corporate veil. A corporation
is a sort of economic robocop, shielding the owners.

On the other hand, the above principle might give a rationale for piercing the
corporate veil  for the crimes of a corporation's human operators. And we do want to
put them in jail, not the body "corporate"