THEY WERE CERTAINLY PHASED OUT nearly two decades ago
spelling out degredation and disaster for the country
side.
it is not known what is the true number of floating
labour in china, some say 100 lillion others say more,
and the governement keeps a close lid on things. now
with wto accession in hand, he country side is likely
to endure more hardship if and only if china abides by
the rules. i think they will not do so and ther are
big enough to outmanouvre the rules.
as to the communes they must have had the
hiererachical structure as the communist party and
also varied in numbers depending on geography crop
etc.
it was B. Mcleod in the JPE