Scott: I agree with you.  Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 1:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:26018] Re: Re: self-interest vs class consciousness or
pro -israel...

Chris--

There are three issues we should not confuse:
1) Who benefits from U.S. government actions?
2) Why does the U.S. do the things it does?
3) Which sections of the U.S. population support the actions of the
government?

It seems to me the answer to 1) is that the principal beneficiary of all
actions by the U.S. government is the bourgeoisie, the U.S. ruling class. It

is also true that other classes in the U.S. benefit to some secondary degree

from U.S. imperialism, both the so-called "middle class" and also
substantial
sections of the working class. Partly this is due to the ability of the
bourgeoisie to make concessions to the workers (and others who might
potentially theaten their stable rule) with a part of the loot they rip off
from the rest of the world (oil and otherwise).

But in my opinion the U.S. ruling class, through its government, never does
ANYTHING, at home or abroad, for the benefit of other classes in the U.S.
unless it is something that it sees is necessary to do in order to serve its

OWN interests. (Such as in order to keep things stable and under control in
the home country.) That is, the answer to 2) is that the SOLE reason the
U.S.
government acts as it does is in order to serve the interests of the U.S.
bourgeoisie.

With regard to 3), yes, large sections of other classes have been
indoctrinated to support the ruling class' government. This is completely
irrelevant to point 2), even granting that there is a partial material basis

for such mass support.

The main point I was trying to make is that when we analyze things like this

we should do so in class terms, and not simply talk about "Americans" in a
classless way. Class interests are the key to understanding such events and
actions even when the people involved have themselves little or no class
consciousness.

"People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception

in politics, and they always will be until they have learnt to seek out the
INTERESTS of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and
social phrases, declarations and promises." --Lenin, "The Three Sources and
Three Component Parts of Marxism" (1913).

--Scott Harrison