From: Devine, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 5:23 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [PEN-L:26160] Heilbroner

[was: RE: [PEN-L:26158] RE: RE: Lies, damned lies, and economics]

I find Heilbroner to present a watered-down Marxism most of the time,
but
his MARXISM: FOR AND AGAINST was pretty good, simply because he got away
from his usual stuff. I don't agree with it as much as like the way he
tries
to find some good stuff in Marxism. Some of the bad stuff he finds is
off-target, but it's worth discussing with students. (If I remember
correctly, his discussion of dialectics comes partly from Ollman and
thus
isn't half bad.)

To be more specific about how he waters down Marxism, he often talks
Labor
"not existing" before the rise of capitalism (e.g., THE WORLDLY
PHILOSOPHERS, 5th edition, p. 25). Though he's pretty clear that labor
_did_
exist before capitalism and that he's referring to "abstract labor" or
an
"impersonal, dehumanized economic entity," the whole discussion would
have
been much clearer if he'd used Marx's distinction between labor-power
and
labor: what he's saying is that labor-power didn't exist _as a
commodity_. I
don't insist that everything I read agree with either Marx or me, but
his
avoidance of basic Marxian concepts seems to encourage fuzzy thinking.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine