BBC News, Tuesday, 28 May, 2002
Turkey tightens controls on the net

By Dorian Jones
in Istanbul

Controversial new controls on the internet in Turkey have
provoked protests from websites which fear they may be driven out
of existence.

The new measures are part of a new wide-ranging broadcasting law
which place the internet under the same legislation as the rest
of Turkey's media for libel and an offence called "lying news".

Under the new law, websites could face having to be officially
registered and send copies of their material to the authorities.

The measures have been condemned by much of the internet sector,
from service providers to users, who warn that the whole future
of the net in Turkey could be at stake.

Impact on internet sector

Savas Unsal, Managing Director of Superonline, Turkey's largest
internet provider, is furious, describing it as a "dirty law".

"There's not going to be a certain direction, no freedom of
speech and this is going to impact the local content and local
hosting services and eventually the whole internet sector," he
said.

"They might easily put me and my chairman out of business."

With around a million subscribers, Superonline has been part of
the country's rapidly growing internet sector.

Many burgeoning Turkish internet websites carry criticism of
ministers, including material newspapers dare not publish.

But Dr Oktay Vural, Minister of Transport and Communications,
insists the measures are not intended to stiffle sites.

"There are no restrictions. It is only that there have been
several things which have been forbidden by the law," he said.

"So if these actions were taken through the internet, then the
regulations will cover for those actions only. We cannot be an
eye in the chatrooms; that is not the aim of that law.

"Let's see what happens. I don't think it will affect the
internet. I think time will show the truth," he said.

Media controls

The new law puts the internet under the control of Turkey's
Supreme Radio and Television Board.

According to Savas Unsal, that opens the door to the internet
facing the similar restrictions as the rest of the country's
media.

 "A judge can tell you to bring a copy of your website whenever
you update it to be approved by the local authorities," he said.

The law is unclear what it actually covers. According to Fikret
Ilkiz, media lawyer for the Turkish daily newspaper, Cumhuriyet,
internet providers could be liable for prosecution for anything
written, even in chatrooms.

He also argues that the notion of "lying news" is too ambiguous.

"The biggest problem is that the law is very unclear. The law
forbids fake or lie news. But what is this?" he asked.

"The law doesn't define what it is. It just says it's forbidden.
And this could apply to chatrooms."

"The way the law is now, it will be defined by many court cases.
For now, there is great uncertainty. No one knows what is legal
and what is not. It is chaos."

'Ambiguous law'

Reaching a definition of the law by court cases could well be an
expensive process for internet providers and users, with fines of
up to $195,000 for each offence.

But some critics of the law argue it is deliberately ambiguous.
Much of Turkey's legislation governing the control of the media
is characterised by catch all phrases.

The internet until now has been largely exempt from such
legislation. Such freedom has allowed it to become a powerful
forum for criticising politicians.

Many journalists publish articles on the internet which neither
television nor newspapers dare print, due in part to existing
legislation.

The European Union, which Turkey aspires to join, has strongly
condemned such legislation. This latest law has also drawn the
ire of the EU, with officials calling for its repeal.

That could well happen because Turkey's President Ahmet Necdet
Sezer has sent the law to the Constitutional Court, accusing it
of breaching the constitution.

The court could take up to a year to make a ruling. In the
meantime, the law remains in force.

Internet slowdown

The uncertainty created by the new legislation could prove most
damaging of all to Turkey.

Professor Haluk Sahin, who teaches media studies at Istanbul's
Bilgi University, warns that Turkey risks repeating the mistakes
of the past:

"A lot people in Turkey realize that Turkey must not make the
mistake of 200 years ago," he says.

"Some 200 years ago, the Ottoman Empire missed the Industrial
Revolution. Now, we believe that the internet, and computers in
general, provide us with a second chance."

"A new train has arrived. Whether we embark on that train or not
is up to us and the younger generations seem determined to do
that."

"Unfortunately, the older generations and the politicians do not
seem to be of the same mind," he said.

Full at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2006000/2006759.
stm