Michael wrote,

> Thanks for all of your responses.  My intuition is that goods with very
> small marginal production costs, such as books and television, tend to aim
> for mass markets, while other types of goods try to be able to capture
> expensive niches, often with the adjective designer attached to the
> product.

Two points:
(1)do you really think "supply side"/technical factors lay behind
diversity/nondiversity?

(2) is there a chicken/egg problem: the attempt to go mass
production/(nondiversity) might lead to large scale production which might
lead to low marginal costs (due to the large fixed costs).

Eric
.