Ian Murray wrote:

> [Jim Devine, did PK ever take an ethics class? Or a political theory
> class? Has he ever *worked* in a Fortune 500 firm?]
>
> June 4, 2002
> Greed Is Bad
> By PAUL KRUGMAN

"Greed is bad." "Property is theft." Same core (misunderstanding) of
capitalism, and both subject to Marx's critique of Proudhon. I think it
was way back on the SPOONS marxism list that I argued that the attack on
greed was never, in effect, an attack on corporate or capitalist wealth,
it was an attack on greedy workers, greedy welfare mothers, etc.

When Jan was trying to organize a clerical workers union at ISU back in
the mid '70s there were some clerical staff who actually thought
fighting for higher wages was close to Unamerican (this was at the time
of Ford's WIN program).

American workers are neither greedy nor lazy enough.

:-) I once actually evoked from one of my brighter (and more
conservative) students the plaintive cry that I was teaching people to
be envious.

Carrol