-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Devine, James
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 3:35 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [PEN-L:26722] RE: Re: RE: Re: PK on race to the bottom (a different
one)

Doug writes:
> And organized labor was anti-tariff at the time, right?
In general, the CIO was anti-tariff until the 1970s. I don't know about the
AFL, which was relevant back in the period I mentioned. My impression is
that the AFL was more involved in another kind of protectionism, that of
being anti-immigrant and anti-Black (and anti-woman-in-the paid workforce).
The Knights of Labor, the IWW, and the CP-oriented unions (e.g., the TUUL)
were of course better on (some of, all of?) these issues.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Free José Padilla! or at least put him under civilian law rules!
JD