> Unfortunately, the "science wars" pits
> postmodernists against a group whose
> Marxist credentials are dubious at best.
> In the initial euphoria over seeing hot-air
> artists like Stanley Aronowitz and Jacques
> Derrida getting their comeuppance, it was
> assumed (including by me) that Sokal was some
> kind of Marxist. In reality, his understanding
> of the role of science comes straight out of the
> liberal "marketplace of ideas" arena. By his own
> admission, he has never read Gramsci, Richard
> Lewontin or Richard Levins.

Well Louis,

I had not even known about Lewontin and Levins until about a year
ago or so (How would I have? They are some American scientists
whom I came to know about only after my participation in some
American lists) and am not that worried about Sokal's Marxist
credentials. I don't even like the term "Marxism" for the same
reason I wouldn't have liked the term "Newtonism", although I
tried to understand the methods and philosophies of both and
still do, keeping in mind that there are other methods and
philosophies too. I find using these terms unfair to all the
others who contributed to "Marxism" and/or "Newtonism".

Whether Sokal's understanding of the role of science comes
straight out of the liberal "marketplace of ideas" arena or not,
as Romain was saying, their "remarkably measured judgement with
respect to the dishonesty of people they criticize" deserves
respect. At least, they were brave enough to "transgress the
boundaries".

This is how I see it.

Best,
Sabri